daughters header

BENJAMIN HARDIN

ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

RACHEL JACKSON

ALABAMA DIVISION OF UNITED STATES DAUGHTERS OF 1812

The United States Daughters of 1812 is a patriotic society founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1892, whose object is to perpetuate the memory of the founders of America, with their records of service in the French War, the Revolution, and the War of 1812. It was incorporated as a national organization February 25, 1901. Its membership is composed of women who are lineal descendants from an ancestry who assisted in the War of 1812, either as a military or naval officer, a soldier, or a sailor, or in any way gave aid to the cause.

Miss Maud McLure Kelly, of Birmingham, was appointed organizing president for this state on October 8, 1908. On May 6, 1910, the first chapter in the state was organized in Birmingham. It was called the Sims-Kelly chapter, but later the name was changed to Alabama charter chapter. On January 6, 1915, the Octagon chapter in Mobile, was organized with Mrs. Charles S. Shawhan, as founder and first regent.

The state organization contributed to the placing of a memorial window in St. Michael's church, Dartmore, England. The state through the Alabama charter chapter marked the beginning of the Jackson trail in Alabama with a boulder at Huntsville and also placed another boulder at Horse Shoe Bend battle field marking the end of the said trail. This celebration took place July 4, 1914. This chapter was also the instigator of the movement agitating the building of the memorial highway to Andrew Jackson. It also presented portraits of Andrew Jackson to the high schools and maintains a cot at the children's hospital in Birmingham.

On May 17, 1917, the Alabama organization placed a boulder at Tensaw, marking the location of the famous massacre at Fort Minis.

Officers: Miss Maud McLure Kelly, honorary life president; Mrs. Harry Tutwiler Inge, president; Mrs. Gregory Little Smith, first vicepresident; Mrs. John A. Lusk, second vice-president; Mrs. Robert H. Woodrow, third vice-president; Mrs. B. F. Padgett, recording secretary; Mrs. W. A. Christian, corresponding secretary; Mrs. W. W. Croom, treasurer; Mrs. C. S. Shawhan, historian; Mrs. Stanley Finch, official reader; Mrs. B. E. Adams, auditor.

Charter members, Alabama charter chapter, Birmingham—Miss Elizabeth Benagh, Nashville, Tenn.; Mrs. R. E. D. Irwin, Anniston; Mrs. Griggsby T. Sibley, Birmingham; Miss Maud McClure Kelly, Birmingham; Mrs. Richard B. Kelly, Birmingham; Mrs. Willis Hitzing, Nashville, Tenn.

Charter members, Octagon chapter, Mobile. —Mrs. B. F. Adams, Mrs. W. A. Christian, Mrs. W. W. Croom, Mrs. C. P. Dumas, Mrs. R. E. Gwin, Miss Edith B. Heckert, Mrs. H. M. Hopper, Mrs. H. T. Inge, Mrs. Charles A. L. Johnstone, Mrs. Fiedlia Sledge Jones, Mrs. B. W. Padgett, Mrs. Bion Provost, Mrs. R. A. Rush, Mrs. C. S. Shawhan, Mrs. G. L. Smith, Mrs. R. E. Dumas.

 

 

 

 

Daughters War 1812